Strong Marauders Effort Falls Short In Quarterfinals To General Brown

By: Meagan Schulz

Strong Marauders effort falls short in quarterfinals to General Brown

DEXTER – The first half of basketball was overpowered by the big man in the middle for the General Brown Lions, Carter Rosbrook, as Sherburne-Earlville didn’t have an answer for him. The Lions then carried the first half momentum into the third quarter, where they put the game away against the Marauders to win 60-48 in the second round of the Section III boys basketball tournament.

Rosbrook – a 6 foot-5 inch senior – finished the contest with a double-double, scoring a game-high 26 points and gathering 13 rebounds.

General Brown, with their height and size, secured the opening tip in the contest but missed on their first possession. In fact, either team did not register a made basket until a minute and a half into the game where Rosbrook finished from the inside.

From there, the Lions took a 6-0 lead before S-E’s Hunter Lane scored the first Marauders’ points.

The two teams went back and forth following the early run by the host team but Sherburne-Earlville closed in, cutting the lead down to three points with 2:06 remaining in the first quarter. Lane put another two points on the score board following a Rosbrook finish and a Kyle Nichols made free throw for the Lions.

It looked as if the score was going to be 14-10 at the end of the first but General Brown’s Jake Heller drained a 3-point bucket before the buzzer, making the lead seven points.

Heller’s buzzer-beater sparked the Lions’ offense as it turned into the Rosbrook-Nichols show. The two combined to score all 20 points made by General Brown in the second quarter. Rosbrook did the work from the paint, scoring 12 points from the middle while Nichols was hot from long-range with two 3-pointers in the quarter.

For the Marauders’, Lane tried to keep his team in the game as he scored 10 of his team-high 24 points in the quarter. Helping Lane was S-E’s John Oley. The Sherburne-Earlville junior was faced with the task of going up against General Brown’s big man.

Oley drove around Rosbrook and drew the foul for the old-fashioned three-point play. That one drive forced Rosbrook to respect the Marauders forward, leaving the lane open for his teammate Lane to get to the rim.

Lane pulled up for a jumper and sent it through the net with two minutes left in the first half, pulling S-E within 10 points of the Lions.

However, Rosbrook was too much in the middle and Sherburne-Earlville’s head coach Kevin Vibbard used everything in his book to stop him but couldn’t find the right response in the first half.

General Brown took the 37-24 lead into the halftime break. Where the game became out of reach was following the intermission.



pennysaver logo
Shop4Autos logo
greatgetaways logo
Official Evening Sun Facebook Official Evening Sun Twitter